Goal II: Promote Peace Building and Safety in the Society
The need for peace in any society cannot be underestimated. According to the 'Global Peace Index Ranking 2016' by the Institute of Economics and Peace, an Australian think tank, Cameroon is ranked amongst the least peaceful countries in Africa; 37th out of 50. By ranking among the 15 least peaceful countries in Africa and 130th in the world (out of 163 ranked countries), Cameroon is certainly paying the price for the attacks that the Nigerian Islamist Sect Boko Haram is multiplying on its soil for over a year now.
These attacks have already led to the death of over 1,000 officially, and at least three kidnappings of expatriates in the Extreme-North region of Cameroon. This not only spur fear in the Northern Region but throughout the country, as there is always a possibility of this rebel group spreading to other regions of the country. This led to a significant increase in the instability of the country and spur fear in the society. As such, ASCOA is working round-the-clock to maintain peace and stability in the society:
- In collaboration with the Armed with The Arts Inc, ASCOA unites children in Cameroon in a vision of peace. We conduct the Peace Crane project in some villages in the south west Region with Children to boost their knowledge on peace and its importance in the society, and then exchange these peace cranes with other children somewhere else in the world.
- We have created 15 peace clubs in colleges and universities using them as focal points in spreading the message of peace. We organise several workshops with these students on peace promotion and how to increase their alertness.
- We participate in the commemoration of the International Peace Day each year by conducting numerous activities.
- Coordinated peace rally through match pass and workshops on human rights.
- Realised peace projects in collaboration with Peace One Day.