Goal IV: Child Support
In ASCOA, we believe children are the future of tomorrow so we also target them in building the society. We support orphans and vulnerable children in surrounding villages in the South West Region of Cameroon. Project I Context
In collaboration with the In'ternational Baccalaureate (IB) program of the Mountain View High School and Brooke Point High Schools in Stafford VA, Association for Community Awareness conducted extensive research in five villages in the South West Region on orphans and vulnerable children. The first phase of the project included identifying the orphans.
During this action research, more than 4,000 orphans and vulnerable children were identified. While the second phase involved conducting a needs assessment research on the orphans and vulnerable children to measure their vulnerability.
And the third phase involved organising a Peace Crane Project with these orphans to share messages on peace, performing a sensitization campaign with these orphans and their guardians on the need for peace and education and also providing them with books and paying of fees for others.
We also conduct occasional inspection to ensure
children go to school. Some major deliverables include the provision of the following:
- Psychosocial support like counselling to children and to families or caregivers
- Education and training through the sponsorship of children in schools and vocational training and life skills development
- Nutrition education to children and their caregivers
- Medical awareness to ensure adherence to drug regimens prescribed at the hospitals
- Legal support to help link children with legal departments and human rights organizations and to help them obtain a birth certificate
- Economic empowerment for sustainability to caregivers through income generating activities
- Advocacy training to empower persons to fight for themselves and their rights